Graphic Designer, Access and Outreach
Missouri State University
The Graphic Designer, Access and Outreach successfully meets Access and Outreach’s marketing objectives and their associates by serving as project manager and demonstrating the ability to provide exceptional digital, print and web design that is on time, on target, and with the departmental budget. The Graphic Designer writes content for and designs a wide range of printed materials including brochures, flyers, billboards, newspaper ads, trade booth displays, etc. The Graphic Designer participates in social media marketing which may include content writing as well as providing cover and post images. The Graphic Designer, Access and Outreach assists with the maintenance of departmental websites. Using an understanding of web design and functionality, the Graphic Designer, Access and Outreach provides artwork and makes necessary edits and updates as requested using web design software or the University’s web content management software. The Graphic Designer, Access and Outreach works in a team-oriented environment, with a strong customer service philosophy working cooperatively with clients and team members and giving and receiving appropriate, constructive feedback.
Description of Primary Duties
1. Produces effective promotions by conducting an initial project interview to understand the client’s specific marketing objectives and formulating appropriate concepts and comprehensives.
2. Understands and complies with the University’s Identity Standards.
3. Coordinates the efficient and timely production of promotions by working closely with clients, photographers, editors, printers, and web programmers.
4. Performs photo shoots as needed following University protocol and maintains a departmental archive of likeness release forms.
5. Provides subsequent proofs as needed for the successful completion of the project.
6. Uses an understanding of prepress, offset, and digital printing processes to inform the client of appropriate options and accurately prepares and hands-off files to printers.
7. Provides bid specifications to the University’s Procurement Office and/or the University’s Printing Services and works closely with on and/or off-campus printers.
8. Ensures that printed pieces to be mailed meet the postal rules and regulations governing standard, nonprofit mail.
9. Oversees the print production process by participating in and approving printer’s proofs, attending press checks as needed to ensure design integrity, color accuracy, and that expectations of a quality product are met.
10. Coordinates the direct impression labeling, pre-sorting, etc. of printed pieces with the University’s Postal Services and/or outside mailing services provider as needed.
11. Places ads, purchases media for clients, and works collaboratively with the department to ensure payment of ads and/or media is made.
12. Provides text and images in an appropriate format for the web as needed for University webmasters.
13. Maintains proficiency with the latest graphic design software and assists in assessing the office’s computer and networking needs.
14. Uses the University’s content management software and/or Dreamweaver in the maintenance of Access and Outreach websites.
15. Understands and ensures the accessibility of the Access and Outreach web sites to all users.
16. Maintains the archival system of work orders and of departmental photos in digital and print format.
17. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
18. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as required by the Director of Marketing and Promotions.
19. Contributes to the overall success of the department by performing essential duties as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications
Education: A Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design or a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree with an emphasis in Graphic Design or a related field is required.
Experience: At least three years of experience in graphic design is required. Experience using Adobe Creative Cloud software, including InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Dreamweaver is required. Photography experience using a DSLR camera is preferred.
Skills: Must be able to demonstrate digital and print design competency with a portfolio. Demonstrated talent as a designer is required. The ability to think conceptually and effectively communicate specific marketing objectives using appropriate visual and typographical elements is required. An understanding of color theory and color management including grayscale, Pantone, and CMYK layout is required. Time management skills, attention to detail, and the ability to manage multiple tasks with critical deadlines are required. Excellent writing, proofreading, communication, and interpersonal skills are required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Effort: The scope of the position occasionally requires working additional hours to complete jobs and to attend press checks and an extensive amount of time working at a computer workstation.