417 Magazine in Springfield, MO is looking for a seasoned designer with a skill for managing projects and coaching a team to be their best. If this sounds like you, and you’re ready for the next step in your career, apply today!
The Art Director manages the creative department’s day to day workflow. Ensures images, typography and design for all 417 and client products are on brand, creative, high-quality and easy for the audience to digest with high visual impact, all under the direction of the Creative Director. Provides art direction and constructive feedback to the creative team on concepts, design and photography and oversee execution of print and digital products.
• Provide art direction to the creative department under guidance of creative director.
• Manage day to day workflow of advertising designers and handle administrative production tasks.
• Lead the initiative to maximize the CRM system to the fullest of its abilities for internal efficiency by always adapting to new technology as it becomes available. Examples include, but are not limited to, implementing the flatplan and maximizing workflows.
• Serve as the lead organizer and coordinator with sources for editorial, advertising, and custom publishing photoshoots.
• Coordinate the collection of all necessary art assets for each issue cycle in collaboration with the editorial art team. •
• Spearhead proof and upload processes for our printed publications.
• Drive the execution of print to digital content.
• Manage timelines for cross departmental projects.
• Hire, train and manage interns.
• Ensure effective and updated processes are documented and organized.
• Assist Creative Director with other duties as needed.
Education Requirements and Work Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree or comparable professional experience
• Minimum 3-5 years of experience.
Skills and Strengths:
• Excellent editorial design skills, visual creativity, strong understanding of typography
• Expert in Adobe Creative Suite design software
• Relationship driven with strong communication skills. Solid working relationship with (and respect for) sources and internal teams.
• Quickly build and maintain rapport with photoshoot subjects.
• Ability to represent themselves and the company through the mission and core values of 417 through any interactions inside or outside of the office and online with co-workers and the public.
• Creative thinker who has the ability to offer input in meetings and confidence to share ideas.
• Passion for editorial design, photography, publishing and audience experience
• Intrinsically motivated to work independently yet still be a team player
• Comfortable with following direction and receiving feedback as required
• Comfortable managing a workload of multiple projects and competing deadlines
• Oh—and last but not least, have a passion for excellence.
• Comprehensive health benefits for employees, disability insurance, SIMPLE IRA match, profit-sharing plan, professional development, flexible work environment, holidays and personal days
• Through our commitment to being Great Game of Business practitioners, we take ownership of our work, mistakes, actions and wins. We understand we have a stake in the company's—and our own—future.
• Key culture competencies include being a self-motivated, resourceful problem-solver with a “we’re all in this together” attitude who is also willing to pitch in and answer the phone.
• Team member must be dependable and efficient in his or her work and must have an innovative mindset.
• Did we mention we have a fun committee?
• We promote from within, so there are opportunities for growth and advancement.